First Mails and Dates
3 March 2010
How do you start off an email love affair? What do you talk about on a first date? Whilst first impressions do count, long term success relies on getting to know each other. The problem for many of us is the inane way we date. Going to a movie for a first date whilst easy, may leave you feeling a bit empty. After 2 hours of sitting in the dark, chances are you'll still be in the dark about your prospective new partner.
The best way to get to know someone is to talk to them and get them to talk about themselves. Here's our top ten list of things to discuss (they may reveal a lot more than you expected!):
- Whom do you admire? Why?
- Tell me about your family: is there anything you would have changed?
- What, if anything, is your most prized possession?
- What's your greatest achievement?
- Is there anything you've dreamt of doing for a long time? Why haven't you done it yet?
- Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?
- What's your greatest strength? ... and weakness?
- What makes you angry or depressed?
- What type of relationship are you looking for?
- Where would you like to live?
Take it easy, with just one or two questions per email or date - you don't want to it to sound like an interrogation. Good luck.